FULL RECIPE BELOW
Learn how to make their own corn masa with this online cooking class with our culinary chef. Homemade tamales or tortillas will never have tasted so good!
CORN MASA RECIPE:
4 cups Dry white or yellow corn
4 Tbsp. Calcium Hydroxide (cal)
8 Cups of water
1. Place the corn in a colander and rinse under cold water. This step just helps rinse away any dust pesticides that might be coating the corn.
2. Prepare the lime mixture; add water to a large (at least 4 quart) noncorrosive pan. Place the pan over high heat and add the lime (Cal) and stir until it is dissolved.
3. Boil the corn; add the corn into the lime water, stirring gently. Use a slotted spoon and remove any kernels that float to the top of the water. Allow the water to boil then reduce the heat to a simmer, allow boiling 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the corn to soak. Allow soaking, covered, overnight.
4. Wash the corn; this step is very important. If you don't rinse and clean the corn properly your dough will be yellow and taste like lime. Pour the corn into a colander and place it under cold running water. Use both your hands and rub the corn between your hands to loosen any hulls still attached to the corn.
5. Grind the (Nixtamal) you may use your food processor.
Tip: You can find calcium hydroxide (Cal) at any Hispanic supermarket in the spice section.
Need an app to help you convert your recipes in the kitchen?
For more information about online culinary and pastry school visit:
STAY CONNECTED WITH US: